procurement officer Job in Cairo, Egypt at World Food Programme
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Support procurement programs and operational activities, (e.g. issue tenders, evaluate offers and negotiate/award contracts), following standard processes and contributing to successful procurement of food and non-food commodities or services.
2. Contribute to analysis of data to provide recommendations for process improvement.
3. Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reports of procurement activities, to contribute to a WFP wide view that enables informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders, leading to performance optimization.
4. Support auditing of procurement activities by collating the necessary information for recommendations to be responded to appropriately to ensure conformity with compliance rules.
5. Work in close collaboration with internal counterparts to align procurement activities with wider programmes and ensure a coherent approach to meeting food assistance needs.
6. Support training of WFP staff to take a strategic and proactive approach to the procurement of food and non-food commodities and services, for example designing and reviewing training materials.
7. Guide and supervise a limited number of more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with simple analysis and queries.
8. Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
9. Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
10. Other as required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLEDesired Experience:
Experience of working in Procurement, preferably with UN agencies, however experience of working in public procurement or with private procurement departments at an international level is also suitable.Experience of undertaking procurement for complex services, identifying and evaluating vendors, preparing tender packages, and undertaking detailed analysis of tender offers.Competency in the use of standard Microsoft Office programs.Demonstrated experience coordinating procurement processes with other units/ teams (e.g., logistics, ICT, Administration)Experience of working in difficult security environments is beneficial but not a prerequisite.
Knowledge & Skills:
Resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgment, tact, negotiating skills;Ability to work in a team, and establish effective working relations with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds;Ability to establish priorities and to plan, co-ordinate and monitor own work plan;Flexibility to work in an environment with strict deadlines and changing operational priorities;Flexibility in accepting work assignments outside normal desk description.
Company: World Food Programme
Company Location: Cairo, Egypt
About World Food Programme
The World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide.
In emergencies, we get food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After the cause of an emergency has passed, we use food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives.
WFP is part of the United Nations system and is voluntarily funded.
Born in 1961, WFP pursues a vision of the world in which every man, woman and child has access at all times to the food needed for an active and healthy life.
On average, WFP reaches more than 90 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. About 13,500 people work for the organization, most of them in remote areas, directly serving the hungry poor.